Wednesday, June 16, 2010

The 2010 IABC World Conference Wrap Up


I've been home from the 2010 IABC World Conference for a week. Yet my mind is still swirling from the amazing people I met, the unconference session, and the powerful engagement from my fellow speakers and attendees. As I've been pondering the nuggets of wisdom I gathered and while I stare at the stack of business cards I need to follow up with, I have tried to mentally document my communication adventure. I present to you, my mental list of bullet points - things that made me smile, the challenges and the, file under somebody may care.


What made me smile
  • People! 1,400 communicators sharing, learning, networking and partying down like no others. With the different events, planned and not planned by IABC, there were plenty of opportunities to create new relationships. I even made a few friends out of this experience. Dear new friends - Please expect me coming to visit your country soon!
  • Keynote speakers - I was moved and inspired. I especially enjoyed Craig Kielburger and Guy Kawasaki. Great job IABC with finding these innovation leaders.
  • Location - Toronto was a great city to explore and navigate. The hotel space worked for the sessions, but not for internet access.
  • Social media - I was very happy to see an increase in social media use from IABC. There was an official blog, Twitter feed, and a hashtag.
  • Organization - All of the events, sessions and more felt very organized and smooth. Not having to overly think about locations or the logistics was a nice stress reliever. 
  • Unconference - How can I not give a shout out to my co-facilitators, Jeremy Schultz, Linda Johannesson, and Bryan Person. I had a great time assisting in the creation and delivery of the new event for IABC. Not only was I pleased that IABC welcomed us, but they helped with great effort to make sure we would be successful. During the unconference, the attendees were very engaged, supportive and provided important feedback. Another unconference next year?!    

Challenges
  • Wifi - Ugh! For us that do not live in Canada, wifi was ever so important. Data feeds on our mobile devices turn into highway robbery when traveling out of our home country. No wifi limited our real-time interaction, updating non attendees on the conference news, and created a lot of frustration. I'm really hoping for free hotel wifi coverage in San Diego for 2011!
  • Internal communication and social media - Where were the social media sessions for internal communicators? I especially didn't see anything on the docket for advanced knowledge, next steps, and best practices for us internal folks. I already know what social media is and am using it. But now what? This area felt like a real gap.
  • More case studies, less vendors - I'd love to see more of the real stories from communication leaders. I want to know how and what they have done to resolve the communication concern. A session from Wm. Amurgis regarding his new intranet was exactly what I we needed to hear. Hearing from a speaker in a session that wants me to sign up to his website for a free evaluation is not real help. It's just frustrating.
  • Social media - Let's make next year the banner year for social media integration. Ask for attendees and volunteers to get involved. This shouldn't just be in addition to the basics. Its time to just make it a norm.

File under, somebody may care
  • Help me make better decisions - The session descriptions need extra detail. I'd love to see a skill level assigned to each session, i.e. beginner, intermediate, advanced. This will help attendees gauge expectations and get the right people in the right session.
  • Mobile conference guides - I'd like to see apps for the iPhone, Blackberry and Android that include general conference and session information. Less paper equals more money in the bank.

In all, IABC was worth my time and money. I am pleased in the efforts everyone made to create a powerful learning space and a space to let down my hair and shake my groove thing (thanks for the dance Heather!). Now it's time to start planning for 2011 in San Diego!

Next up, pictures, memories and the unusual from my trip to Toronto.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great recap and feedback about improvements that can be made next year so that we all have an even more "hi-touch" experience (as we used to say back in the day when I worked in retail).

I would add that although I got information about it, I totally missed the whopping significance and radical nature of the Unconference. If only I had understood that it was going to be the HOTTEST session at the conference, one in which I would engage with other communicators about our own issues and theirs and actively collaborate, I would have been there. But, alas, I've never, ever been an early adopter.

I am still hanging on to video I took on my iPhone at the debrief. I want to upload it somewhere but, being a semi-perfectionist I want to "do something with it" first, and here is life, intervening in my best-laid plans.

I am also very eager to add more working sessions - where we actually actively engage in sharing anecdotes and issues from our work with each other and then come up with ideas about how to approach.

Which leads me to the debrief. Somebody PLEASE remind me next year to ask this to be included as a listing in the conference program. It's so good to get together at the end and discuss what worked, what we'd improve, what's changed for us - and this year, the motto we all took away as a result of having been immersed with each other for a few great days.

For me, I'll just add this - meeting you was a highlight. Trying to figure out how I can work full time here, be a parent and a partner, and come be your intern!

:)

Jenny Strauss

Karen said...

Great recap Chris!

Lovely meeting you too. I completely agree with your points regarding attaching beginner, intermediate, and advanced criteria to each session.

And yes, books definitely need to be replaced with something electronic.

Also, for the unconference, you may want to include a "buddy system" element where it includes an opportunity to meet someone in a similar industry and they can tag-team sessions (i.e. grab notes on ones they can't attend).

Again, great meeting you...more than happy to entertain if you're ever in Calgary :)

Karen P

Chuck Gose said...

Nice post Christopher. I, too, would love to more "real" communicators presenting case studies, like Erin Dick's F135 presentation.

We need to hear from communicators doing the work, not the people telling communicators how they should be doing the work.

Christopher said...

Jenny - First off, you are very sweet and thanks for the flattering comments. I'm glad we connected and we're going to rock it this year.

Regarding the video, I completely understand about the desire to make greatness. I fall into this trap as well. But remember, half way there on some things is ok.

I completely agree, let's get an official debrief on the schedule for next year.


Karen - Of course I agree - I loved that we had a lot of moments to get to know each other.

Regarding the buddy system, let's talk more. I love the ideas!


Chuck - Let's see what we can do to drive the right speakers to the conference. Let's recommend people.

Anonymous said...

So great to be fully connected back in NZ - sorry to miss the concall on Sat but 5am in NZ on a Saturday morning is well ... me time!

It was so good to meet you and be part of the conference - still my IABC conference highlight.

Returning to work was a reality shock. But this week we have our own 'tweet' up to discuss social media and what we can do. Also just put in a request to buy two flip cameras.

Tomorrow I meet with our CE to tell him he's going to start a blog and write it himself!

Enjoy your summer - it's bloody winter here!

Cheers, Jeanette (the kiwi gal)